Sunday

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Today we went to the awesome Victoria Falls. It is one of the seven wonders of the world. I rode with JD and he told us stories of demonic possesion and cruelty and cannibalism but I will write more about that later as I am very nauseous now and will only give details of some of the today. Victoria Falls is AMAZING and powerful. We saw beautiful rainbows and a double rainbow and walked the bridge across. The mist was so heavy it was like a torrential downpour and blocked our view. We got drenched even through raincoats. Since it is just post rainy season the thundering water and mist were exceptional. Some of our group hiked down to the river but three of us passed. Too physical after the walk we just had so we went "curio" shopping at the craft market. The vendors were so forceful that I was intimidated and it did not take me long to purchase a mahogany rhino and and hippo, a carved tigerfish (the local fish in the Zambezi River) for our guest bathroom, a carved Mukuni mask of the wife of the leader, and then I left. JD rescued me and we walked to the end of booths where Paul's Dad was. I bought a beautiful bowl from him with elephants, giraffes and guinea hens on it. When we all regrouped, we went to the Mukumbie market to purchase chitanges, fabric, nmsima spoons and a true Zambian broom. This is the locals market so we saw the Kapunta stand, covered with flies, and an aroma I will not soon forget. The market reminded me of the Arab section of Jerusalem. Lunch was at a restaurant called Zig Zag's and we ate outside. I had a "croc burger" that was delicious. It was almost like a fish sandwich unlike alligator that is more like chicken. I always have a local meal when traveling. We went to Shop-Rite Plaza to a CD store and I bought a CD of African music by the same singer Mariel had played in her car. I also bought Rooibos decaf tea and the coconut cookies we had used for s'mores. Benita bought candy for her girls. My rash is still bugging me. Benita and Kate have it too but not as severe. NO bug bites though !!

So, JD told us many stories. One was of a man who stole his own daughter from his wife. He took her to a far off village and left her with a couple, for reasons unknown, except, he did not want her to remain with her Mom (his wife).
Her Mom found out where her daughter was so she walked for four days to Zimba to find her. When she did find her, she had scars and fresh cuts on her body and was emotionally unstable. The couple had sliced her with knives. She and her daughter walked home and after about a year, the daughter has almost returned to normal.

A man in a remote village was found eating a body of a two year old. When the head of his village asked him why, he replied, "I always do". The Chief reported him to the authorities who removed him from the village.

Many stories of demonic possesion were also reported with people being chained to trees. The good part is that the demons were released and the people saved by their converting to accepting Jesus Christ into their lives. We, unfortunately did not witness any of these but it must be amazing when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment