Sunday

Monday, May 2, 2011

Today was our day of total rest and relaxation. We went to the 3 star resort "Native Sun". The grounds were manicured and the pool was beautiful, cool and refreshing. We had non alcoholic drinks served to us on our lounge chairs. I had a Caribbean Joe - pineapple and coconut but it needed more coconut. It was nice to be waited on. We had lunch there and watched the monkeys trying to steal food. There are uniformed guards with sticks to chase them but as soon as the monkeys see the guard, even from 500 feet away, they take off. My lunch was a nibblers basket with chicken strips, a spring roll, an Indian meat pie and BBQ ribs. All small pieces but enough to eat. There was a Piri Piri sauce for dipping but I did not like it until I mixed it with ketchup because it was very strong of vinegar. The bill for the day was $14 US. I thought the chlorine pool would clear up my rash but it has gotten worse. Bev, Kate, Benita and I went to the local Mukuni market and I got a nice carved elephant with tusks. He is cute! We got a phone call from Mariel and had to hurry for our dinner cruise on the Zambezi River. We were told it left at 4:30 when it really leaves at 4PM. They waited for us, good thing. The cruise went up the Zambezi River above Victoria Falls to see wildlife and the beautiful African sunset. our boat looked like the "African Queen". Other boats were new, sleek and fancy and just looked out of place in Africa. Dinner was grilled chicken and an undescribeable sausage, potato salad, coleslaw and rolls. We saw a few big hippos and heard them steam off almost like whales. We only saw one out of the water and it was huge. JD photographed a beautiful bird called a "Jesus bird". I want a copy of it.
After the cruise we went for ice cream which was not good and then back to the base to pack for our trip home tomorrow. Wezi brought us curios he had made and I bought a beautiful malakite aqua stone with cow horn insertions bracelet, a salad serving set, a small bowl. I was so tired that I fell asleep while Benita was still packing and writing her journal. Our last night in Zambia brought bittersweet memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment