Saturday

Monday April 25, 2011

After breakfast we went to Makuni Village to distribute vitamins to about fifty people. The interpretor had introduced us all by name when we arrived but it still blew me away when each person who came up to me said, "Hi, Jan". They were all very appreciative for the vitamins and the friendship we showed. The one thing they asked for was the empty cardboard box that the vitamins came in.
We then drove to the second village but there had been some confusion about the time so noone was there. Instead, we went to see a seventh grade class. The teacher allowed us to participate in asking the children questions and if their answer was correct, Mariel threw them a piece of bubble gum. After class was over, I taught them how to blow bubbles with their gum They all thought that was funny, I sat next to a little boy who near the end of the game had not gotten gum so I coached him with the correct answer.
It is funny that when we speak Tonga and mispronounce the words, they laugh at us so we all start laughing.
We left the school and after a very bumpy ride, we arrived in Livingstone to have a local "fast food" lunch. Mine was a chicken and mushroom pie. It was like a pot pie in puff pastry and delicious. Then we each got and ice cream cone for $.50 US. It was not like Rita's or Ben and Jerry's but it was cold and refreshing. It has been very hot and dusty. I took my shower before dinner so it was cold, but felt good. Dinner was leftover Mac and cheese, salad and a casserole with the Easter pork and rice with vegetables.
We are going out to the bush tomorrow and they have planned to put a mattress on top of the car for me so I would not have to sleep on the ground. Their concern for my back is overwhelming. These are GREAT people. I hope we see some animals. We saw baboons today but so far that is all for the wildlife. This is the only disappointing thing so far. "No problem" "TIA"
This is Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment