Monday

January 2011

Fran and I went to Church this morning and in the main hall was a table set up with a sign "Zambia, Mission Trip".  I have always wanted to go on a mission trip but something always prevented me. Either the work entailed physical work beyond my ability or I could not get the time off from work.

So, I spoke with the woman at the table and she explained that the trip was to dispense vitamins and food supplements to the local Zambians and that we would be weighing and measuring the growth of children at an "under five Clinic".  WOW this was perfect for me !   My 43 years of nursing could be put to God's use!  Like the movie "Pay it Forward".

I looked at Fran and said "I am going!".  He replied, "don't you want to pray about it?.  No, I know God has called me to do this!

And so my journey to Zambia begins.  Over the next few months I have to gather supporters to help finance my way.  Our departure date is April 20, 2011 for two weeks. .  Most people's first Mission trip is to Mexico, Costa Rica, even the USA.    But not mine, I am going to Zambia, Africa for my first ever Mission Trip !!

SO, I start talking to friends and I got mixed feedback.  Mostly, people said "Are you scared?"
Scared of what I replied.  I have nothing to be afraid of.  I am going to do God's work and his Angels will guide my way and keep me safe.

As time gets closer, my support arrives daily in the mail.  Very slowly but surely I receive money to finance my trip.   However, I never quite reach my goal. No biggee, I am going anyway!!  I get my immunizations, buy a sleeping bag with mosquito hood, Deet, antimalarial medications, camping pants with zip off legs, and a safari type hat (I borrowed Fran's). I practice packing probably 5 times before the final pack on April 19. 

No comments:

Post a Comment